“Remember those three minutes for the rest of your life.”
In this episode, Al White, Advisor for Corporate Responsibility and VP of The Lilly Foundation at Eli Lilly and Company, joins Derrin Slack for a conversation about breaking the cycle of crime and making the most of every opportunity.
Al’s father was a well-known drug dealer in Delaware, and his grandfather was murdered as a result of his involvement with organized crime. When Al was arrested before his senior year of highschool, it seemed he would follow the pattern.
As he shares his story, you’ll hear how he was given a second chance, and what he did next to take full advantage of it.
In This Episode:
- [01:06] –This or That? With Al
- [03:58] – Al’s paternal history
- [04:21] – Following the pattern
- [09:33] – “Remember those three minutes”
- [11:42] – What happened next?
- [15:50] – Al’s guiding values
Quotes From This Episode:
- “Embrace your education and make the most of it.”
- “You’re influenced by your environment and by your friends; surround yourself with the right people.”
- “Perspective is incredibly important; while things seem tough, there are folks who have it far tougher.”
Podcast episodes are released every other week. Follow our podcast and listen to the following major platforms: